The LIFE PAYT project has four clear objectives:
Save waste treatment costs for those who separate with the bring bank.
Improve the waste collection & treatment and reduce the tariffs charged to citizens & businesses.
Encourage waste prevention and reduction practices.
Support Portugal in achieving the national environmental targets.
The project has well established objectives which will have the following expected results:
- PAYT waste tariffs established at the demonstration sites and fostering the environmental and economic sistainability of municipalities in Portugal, Greece na Cyprus.
- A framework of guidelines and specifications and plataforms for implementation PAYT targeting local authorities are available for use by the local authorities and interested network partners.
- Participating municipalities are ready to fully apply PAYT in their territory.
- The project results are transferred to similar municipalities, to foster replication and the transition to PAYT in the South of Europe.
- Residual waste from the demonstration site decreases: minus 20% to 40% for households and minus 40 to 60% for commerce and services.
- Separate collection of packaging waste (glass, paper, plastic and metal) increases at the demonstration sites.
- Waste collection is modernised and optimised at the demonstration sites
- The environmental, social and economic impacts of the transtion to PAYT is known at participating municipalities
- Landfilled organic waste decreases.
- Awareness of decision makers and the public on waste topics increases.