The project has 5 areas of implementation, located in 3 South European Countries:
- Aveiro, Portugal (pop. 78 450)
- Condeixa-a-Nova, Portugal (pop. 17 000)
- Lisbon, Portugal (pop. 552 700)
- Vrilissia, Zona de Grande Atenas, Grécia (pop. 30 000)
- Larnaca, Chipre (pop. 51 000)
Each municipality is responsible for the management of urban waste in its territory. Current management practices in each municipality are different: these differences will be used to demonstrate that the PAYT tariff system can be successfully implemented in areas with different basic conditions and different local management practices.